Iraq appoint new national football coach
Baghdad: Hakeem Shakir has been promoted from caretaker to Iraq head coach, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has said.
The AFC said in a statement Sunday that the Iraq football association made the decision after Shakir acted as caretaker following Brazilian Zico`s resignation late November.
Shakir led Iraq to the finals of the under-19 Asian championship and the West Asian championships in 2012.
Shakir, 49, will face his first task of the Gulf Cup 2013 starting in Bahrain next week.
Iraq are also vying for a place in the 2014 World Cup finals.
They are third in Group B of the Asia Zone final qualifiers with five points from five games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai