Iraq appoint new national football coach
Baghdad: Hakeem Shakir has been promoted from caretaker to Iraq head coach, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has said.
The AFC said in a statement Sunday that the Iraq football association made the decision after Shakir acted as caretaker following Brazilian Zico`s resignation late November.
Shakir led Iraq to the finals of the under-19 Asian championship and the West Asian championships in 2012.
Shakir, 49, will face his first task of the Gulf Cup 2013 starting in Bahrain next week.
Iraq are also vying for a place in the 2014 World Cup finals.
They are third in Group B of the Asia Zone final qualifiers with five points from five games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman