Irked Rooney slams Mancini
Zeenews Sports Bureau
London: Irked by Roberto Mancini’s accusations, Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney has slammed the Italian insisting that he had no role in Vincent Kompany getting a red card.
City’s skipper Kompany was sent-off after 11 minutes during Sunday’s FA cup derby encounter after a two-footed lunge at United’s Nani. This led Rooney rushing towards referee, Foy, who immediately issued a red card to the Belgian.
“Funny how people think I got Kompany sent off. I’m not the referee. I didn’t give the red card, but it was a clear red card (for a) two- footed tackle.” Daily Star quoted Rooney as saying.
The red card means that Vincent Kompany faces a ban of four matches as this was his second red card of the season. City have lodged an appeal against the card but the daily has learnt that it is most likely to be rejected.
Meanwhile, City’s defender Micah Richards might also face the heat for his comments on the referee in which he pointed out Foy’s decision as the reason for his team’s loss to United at Etihad stadium.
“First and foremost, I think the decision killed the whole game. We’ve watched it 10, 20 times and it’s the same outcome every time – it’s never a red card. It is a decision which cost us.” said Richards.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata