Is Kenya`s Belgian football coach planning to leave?

Nairobi: Kenyan football was rocked again with rumours of national football coach Adel Amrouche planning to leave ahead of the must-win encounter against Zanzibar in the ongoing Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup.

However, Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Friday denied rumours of a split with the Belgian, reports Xinhua.

Amrouche was not present in the dugout during their opening Group A encounter against Ethiopia that ended in a barren stalemate with local media awash with claims the Belgian and FKF were headed for a divorce over pay.

"FKF wishes to express its disappointment with reports appearing in the press to the effect that there are frosty relations between us and the national team head coach Adel Amrouche. FKF wishes to inform all that there is no bad blood between the Federation and Amrouche as being portrayed by a section of the media," said a statement from the federation.

While insisting that the Belgian was still in charge, the governing body added: "as a federation we are committed to ensuring that the coach has the best working environment any coach would want. We have always ensured the coach is paid his dues in time and accorded all his needs."

According to FKF, Amrouche missed the opener on the advice of his doctor after he was taken ill on the eve of the Wednesday game against Ethiopia.

Kenya need a win over surprise group leaders Zanzibar who opened their campaign by stunning Southern Sudan 2-1 to maintain their interest in the regional competition they are hosting for the first time since 2009.

Kenyan media cited mounting unpaid dues from the often cash-strapped federation as the reason behind Amrouche`s no show against Ethiopia with his assistant, James Nandwa, taking over.

"FKF as any other organization sometimes faces financial constraints and wish to inform you that the coach has never personally raised any issue over his outstanding dues," the statement went on saying that any misunderstanding "has been amicably addressed".

Amrouche, the former Burundi national team coach, took over in February after his predecessor, Frenchman Henri Michel quit the side and took FKF to court over three months` unpaid arrears.