ISL: Kolkata team confident players would adjust to synthetic turf
Mumbai: Atletico de Kolkata officials are confident that the players they have drafted into their franchise for season 1 of the Indian Super League, including the foreign recruits today, would be able to adjust to the synthetic turf at their home venue.
"Ours is the only ground which has artificial turf, so the players have to get used to it. The other teams` players too have to play on it only (in away games against Kolkata)," said Saharsh Parekh, whose father Utsav Parekh co-owns the franchise after the international player draft here today.
He also sounded pleased at the mix of the players they have got ahead of the October 12-December 20 IPL-style football league.
"There were a few formations that the coach wanted and accordingly, we picked our players. It`s all about creating a balance ? young and experienced and then decided the players."
The team today picked Borja Fernandez, Jofre Mateu Gonzalez, Jose Miguel Gonzalez Rey, Arnal Llibert Conde Carbo, Sylvain Monsoreau, Jakub Podany and Apoula Edima Edel Bete from the 49-strong international player draft.
He emphasised that the team management would leave no stone unturned to ensure the players, who were predominantly Spanish, face no language problems.
Parekh said that the team would start its preparations for the tournament in right earnest once they get back to Kolkata.
"Today we are going to Kolkata and have a meeting and decide as 40-45 days is the ideal time to start the pre-season preparations. We have a list of 22 players. Now once we go back and discuss and see whether the coach needs some more," he said.
"Hopefully foreign layers would start the camp too depending on their visas," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon