Italian Ignominy! Slovakia fade out champions from World Cup
Johannesburg: Slovakian football rose up to another level in the 2010 World Cup with their taming of defending champions Italy 3-2, thus knocking them out at the end of the first round itself.
It was one of those rarest of the rare instances where the title holders were knocked out in the first part of the tournament. The win also saw Slovakia through to the next stage of the World Cup.
Italy finally scored a goal in the 81st minute as Di Natale stabbed the ball home following Mucha`s save on Quagliarella`s shot. They soon netted again but it was an off-side shot that wasn’t counted. ‘Despair for Italy’ was the reaction from a gamut of fans around the world. Even in injury time, Italy gave a solid fight-back as Quagliarella F. came with another goal for Italy but it was a tad bit too late.
The goal was followed up with a confrontation inside the net itself that resulted in a yellow card for Jan Mucha.
Italy’s nightmare grew darker as the match progressed in the second half, with Robert Vittek wrecking havoc with his second goal of the night in the 73rd minute. Kopunek K. came alive in the 89th minute to get Slovakia the elusive third goal and an insurmountable lead.
In a rude shock to the Italian fans, Slovakia had taken an early lead when Vittek netted the first goal for his country in the 25th minute.
Vittek buried the ball into the bottom corner of the net following a poor clearance by Italy defender De Rossi.
The do-or-die tie between defending champions Italy and Slovakia began with the Azzurri trying to get in the Jambulani into the net right from the word go. They were however matched by the Slovenian outfit with a matching temperament, at least in the initial stages.
Slovakia line-up: Mucha, Pekarik, Skrtel, Durica, Zabavnik, Strba, Hamsik, Kucka, Stoch, Jendrisek, Vittek
Italy line-up: Marchetti, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Criscito, Gattuso, De Rossi, Montolivo, Pepe, Iaquinta, Di Natale
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!