Italy lacked intensity: Coach Prandelli
Rome: Italy head coach Cesare Prandelli has conceded that his side gave a patchy performance and lacked in intensity in their 2-0 win over Malta.
In-form Mario Balotelli scored both goals in the 2-0 World Cup qualifying victory Tueday and goalkeeper Gigi Buffon had to save a penalty in the first half.
"We knew there would not be spaces and were perhaps a little too slow in construction, so ran into trouble. We still maintained possession throughout the game. We lacked a bit of intensity in the finishing," said Prandelli.
"We were too distant between defenders and midfielders so the passes got misplaced. It may seem absurd but the wind affected the long passes too. We did some things well, others not so well. We must learn from this that against clammed-up teams we have to pass the ball short and quick. When there are no spaces and a team is exceedingly organised we must learn to be quicker in our build-up."
Not only did Buffon save the penalty but he did it on the day he became the second all-time Italy representative with 126 caps.
"Buffon marked this landmark like a captain with a great save at the crucial moment," added Prandelli.
"Balotelli is going to have to get used to being provoked and must maintain his calm, as he did today," Prandelli added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say