Italy lucky to win against Japan: Prandelli
Brasilia: Italy coach Cesare Prandelli admitted that his team were fortunate to escape from their Confederations Cup clash against Japan with a 4-3 victory, which wrapped up their spot in the semi-finals.
The Azzurri came back from a 2-0 deficit to triumph, but were lucky to be awarded a penalty after a harsh handball call against Makoto Hasebe, not to mention a host of near misses by Japan, who were the superior side for much of the encounter.
And Prandelli was left under no illusions as to his side’s good fortune throughout the match, telling reporters: “Against Mexico we deserved [to win], but not today.
“We deserved that game against Mexico, but tonight we [were dealt] a crazy hand. In the first 25 minutes we did not understand what we had to do. There were times we did not play, and we were in trouble.”
However, the 55-year-old did pin some of the blame for his team’s display on the sweltering conditions in Recife, which he felt prematurely fatigued his team.
“It is really hard to play in this climate,” Prandelli added. “Here it is 80 per cent humidity and crazy hot. We recovered [from the opening 25 minutes] but had no gas left.”
But with the victory, and a place in the last four in the bag, Prandelli chose to focus his attention on preparing his team for their final game against Brazil, the winner of which will finish in first place in Group A.
“Now you just have to recuperate ahead of the clash with Brazil,” concluded the trainer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof