Italy rout San Marino 4-0
Bologna: Italy made an ideal start for their next week`s FIFA World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic as they thrashed San Marino 4-0 in a friendly.
Andrea Poli opened the scoring (28th minute) before Alberto Gilardino doubled the lead six minutes later. Andrea Pirlo curled home a free-kick five minutes after the break with Alberto Aquilani finished off the routing (79th).
Mario Balotelli came on in the second half, only to see his two shots hit the woodwork.
Italy head coach Cesare Prandelli was "satisfied" with his side`s performance, claiming he has to make choice to finalise selections for his team.
"It was not simple, as when there are no spaces you need to be quick. We had four or five tough days of training and I am satisfied with what I saw," he said.
"We need to improve the tempo when we start moves from the back but physically we`re in good shape. I cannot take names now, as I wanted to see some players in action and they all deserve to be here, but I have to make choices," he said.
Italy will play away with Czech June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference