Italy rout San Marino 4-0
Bologna: Italy made an ideal start for their next week`s FIFA World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic as they thrashed San Marino 4-0 in a friendly.
Andrea Poli opened the scoring (28th minute) before Alberto Gilardino doubled the lead six minutes later. Andrea Pirlo curled home a free-kick five minutes after the break with Alberto Aquilani finished off the routing (79th).
Mario Balotelli came on in the second half, only to see his two shots hit the woodwork.
Italy head coach Cesare Prandelli was "satisfied" with his side`s performance, claiming he has to make choice to finalise selections for his team.
"It was not simple, as when there are no spaces you need to be quick. We had four or five tough days of training and I am satisfied with what I saw," he said.
"We need to improve the tempo when we start moves from the back but physically we`re in good shape. I cannot take names now, as I wanted to see some players in action and they all deserve to be here, but I have to make choices," he said.
Italy will play away with Czech June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH