Italy`s El Shaarawy in doubt for Mexico clash
Rio de Janeiro: AC Milan striker Stephan El Shaarawy is in doubt for Italy`s opening Confederations Cup match against Mexico slated for Sunday due to an injury.
The 20-year-old did not train for a second consecutive day Thursday with Azzurri officials blaming his absence on "muscle soreness”.
El Shaarawy has been struggling for fitness since suffering a bruised ankle in a collision with Italy teammate Angelo Ogbonna late last month.
Meanwhile midfielder Claudio Marchisio insisted that Italy`s 0-0 and 2-2 draws against the Czech Republic and Haiti in the past week had not dented the team`s confidence ahead of Sunday`s match at the Maracana stadium.
"We aren`t satisfied with the way we have been playing but we are working as hard as we can to improve," the Juventus star said.
"We are going to be very motivated and prepare ourselves the best we can."
Italy have been drawn in Group A of the Confederations Cup alongside Brazil, Mexico and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie