Ivanov to replace Rosetti as Russian referees`s chief
The Russian Football Union (RFU) has hired former FIFA official Valentin Ivanov to replace Italian Roberto Rosetti as head of the domestic referees` department, the RFU president said on Monday.
"Valentin Ivanov doesn`t need any introduction and I believe his high qualification, knowledge and experience will benefit the domestic football," Nikolai Tolstykh told a news conference.
The 52-year-old, whose father Valentin was a former Soviet striker who was joint top scorer at the 1962 World Cup in Chile and the 1960 European Championship, retired after the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
Ivanov, who officiated matches at Euro 2004 in Portugal and the 2003 Confederations Cup in France, made headlines in 2006 after showing 16 cards, including four reds during a World Cup match between Portugal and Netherlands.
"I understand how difficult and demanding job I have to do," Ivanov said. "But I feel the strength to succeed in this position."
Rosetti, who was named best referee in Serie A four times and officiated the Euro 2008 final between Spain and Germany, was hired by the RFU in 2011 in a bid to improve refereeing standards in Russia but resigned this month for family reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM