Ivory Coast reject City`s request to delay Toures` departure
London: Ivory Coast coach Francois Zahoui has rejected Manchester City`s request to delay the arrival of Kolo and Yaya Toure for his African Nations Cup squad so they can play in Sunday`s FA Cup third round derby against Manchester United.
"Clubs know the rules," Zahoui told reporters. "I`m expecting them for the FIFA deadline," he said.
City had hoped the Toure brothers would be able to play against United before joining the Ivory Coast but Zahoui wants them to meet up with the rest of the squad in Paris on Saturday before they leave for a two-week training camp in Abu Dhabi.
"The national team in Ivory Coast is led by people who are well educated and I was surprised that people in England think that we don`t know the FIFA rules about dates," Zahoui added.
As well as the Toure brothers, Chelsea`s Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, Gervinho of Arsenal, Cheick Tiote of Newcastle United and Sol Bamba of Championship club Leicester City are also in the squad.
The tournament is being co-hosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon from January21 to February12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says