Jamaican footballer tests positive for banned substance
Kingston (Jamaica): A member of Jamaica’s senior football team campaigning for next year’s World Cup in Brazil has tested positive for a banned substance.
Officials have not released the name of the player, a midfielder who returned an adverse analytical finding following the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifier against Honduras June 11.
"During the World Cup qualifying match between Honduras and Jamaica June 11, a member of the Jamaican squad returned an adverse analytical finding on his urine sample,” said a statement from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).
"The JFF has taken this matter very seriously and a thorough investigation has already started by the chairman of the JFF medical committee (Guyan Arscott)."
The player has been informed and the JFF says it’s awaiting further information from FIFA who conducted the test.
The news comes on the heels of shocking revelation that a number of Jamaican athletes including Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson had tested positive for drugs.
"I think there are extenuating circumstances, because the player in question did not even play in the game," Burrell shared.
"It is a sensitive matter and we have to try and protect the player and everybody, but I hope that things will work out in a way where it won`t affect him. If you want to play, but you have some pain and you are sick and a doctor gives you something to help you, nobody can hold you responsible."
Jamaica will attempt to revive its CONCACAF World Cup campaign when it plays away against Panama Sep 6.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed