Japan a threat to Brazil: Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Pele has warned Brazil not to underestimate Japan in the opening match of the Confederations Cup in Brasilia slated for Saturday.
Despite backing Brazil as one of the tournament favourites, Pele believes the clash at Mane Garrincha stadium could be among the host nation`s most difficult.
And he warned Luiz Felipe Scolari`s team that their emphatic 3-0 victory over France last Sunday would mean little during the event considered a World Cup dress rehearsal.
"People say it will be easy for us because they (Japan) are not a traditional football country but the fact we played well against France doesn`t guarantee anything," Pele said Wednesday.
"There is nobody that doesn`t know our team and the way we play. All the sides know each other well and for that reason every match will be difficult. I hope we can be champions but let`s not underestimate Japan in the first match. It`s going to be tough."
Japan`s squad arrived in in Brasilia Wednesday and will have their first training session Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users