Japan a threat to Brazil: Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Pele has warned Brazil not to underestimate Japan in the opening match of the Confederations Cup in Brasilia slated for Saturday.
Despite backing Brazil as one of the tournament favourites, Pele believes the clash at Mane Garrincha stadium could be among the host nation`s most difficult.
And he warned Luiz Felipe Scolari`s team that their emphatic 3-0 victory over France last Sunday would mean little during the event considered a World Cup dress rehearsal.
"People say it will be easy for us because they (Japan) are not a traditional football country but the fact we played well against France doesn`t guarantee anything," Pele said Wednesday.
"There is nobody that doesn`t know our team and the way we play. All the sides know each other well and for that reason every match will be difficult. I hope we can be champions but let`s not underestimate Japan in the first match. It`s going to be tough."
Japan`s squad arrived in in Brasilia Wednesday and will have their first training session Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi