Japan a threat to Brazil: Pele
Rio de Janeiro: Pele has warned Brazil not to underestimate Japan in the opening match of the Confederations Cup in Brasilia slated for Saturday.
Despite backing Brazil as one of the tournament favourites, Pele believes the clash at Mane Garrincha stadium could be among the host nation`s most difficult.
And he warned Luiz Felipe Scolari`s team that their emphatic 3-0 victory over France last Sunday would mean little during the event considered a World Cup dress rehearsal.
"People say it will be easy for us because they (Japan) are not a traditional football country but the fact we played well against France doesn`t guarantee anything," Pele said Wednesday.
"There is nobody that doesn`t know our team and the way we play. All the sides know each other well and for that reason every match will be difficult. I hope we can be champions but let`s not underestimate Japan in the first match. It`s going to be tough."
Japan`s squad arrived in in Brasilia Wednesday and will have their first training session Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- TIRUN announces maiden voyage of world's largest cruise ship
- Jayalalithaa takes oath as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Katrina Kaif looks as pretty as a picture on 'Jagga Jasoos' sets in Morocco! View pics
- If you think you are popular on social media then here’s a reality check
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders in Tehran today