Jay Rodriguez, Adam Lallana get England calls
London: England manager Roy Hodgson handed call-ups to uncapped Southampton pair Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana as he unveiled his squad for friendly games against Chile and Germany on Thursday.
Rodriguez and Lallana have played central roles in Southampton`s stunning start to the Premier League season, which sees them in sixth place after 10 matches, and they join club-mate Rickie Lambert in the squad.
Lallana, the 25-year-old Southampton captain, received his first call-up in September, but 24-year-old forward Rodriguez had not been called up before.
Liverpool duo Glen Johnson and Jordan Henderson both returned to the squad. Johnson recently returned to action after an ankle injury, while Henderson last played for his country at Euro 2012.
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere retained his place in the squad, despite having missed his club`s 1-0 win at Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Wednesday due to a longstanding ankle problem.
England begin their World Cup preparations against Chile at Wembley Stadium on November 15 before tackling old rivals Germany at the same venue four days later.
England squad for friendlies against Chile and Germany at Wembley Stadium on November 15 and 19, announced by manager Roy Hodgson on Thursday:
Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic/SCO), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole (both Chelsea), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones, Chris Smalling (both Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)
Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley (both Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (capt), Jordan Henderson (both Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez (both Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir