Jose Mourinho`s smart Chelsea outwit Manuel Pellegrini`s stunned Manchester City
London: Jose Mourinho proved why he is one of the most revered coaches in the world as he masterminded a 1-0 win that ended Manchester City`s 100 percent home Premier League record this season.
Chelsea have now picked up 10 points from a possible 12 against the other top four teams this term as they joined the hosts on 53 points, two behind leaders Arsenal.
"We played fantastic. Against a fantastic club, to play the way we did I think is amazing for the boys," Mourinho told Sky Sports after his team had also hit the woodwork three times.
"In the process of building the team, to prepare the team to be favourites, to be one of the favourites next season, I think it is an important step."
Mourinho had said Chelsea would not be "parking the bus" and while they certainly snuffed out City`s array of attacking talent, his side also looked dangerous every time they broke and should have added to Branislav Ivanovic`s first-half strike.
"They had couple chances but we had better chances to kill the game," Mourinho added. "The players when we didn`t have the ball were humble and all ready to defend. When we had the ball they were trying to play and we played really well."
Despite the win Mourinho was played down the notion that Chelsea were now favourites to win the title and instead talked about their potential next season.
"It`s not our responsibility or our objective to say that (we are favourites). We must complete the puzzle and formation. Some managers it`s in their DNA to say we need two, three, four, five years to build.
"The next pre-season, me and my players will say openly that we are mature, solid from day one and are candidates for the league. This season is about evolution.
"We can (win the title) if they (City) lose it. Arsenal are working for many, many years for the evolution of their team.
"What we are doing this season is what Arsenal have been building to for years. It means nothing for us to come here and park the bus and win 1-0 in a lucky situation. The evolution is more important."
It was the first time City had failed to score at home in the league since a 0-0 draw against Birmingham City in November 2010 - a run of 61 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam