Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clash
Moscow: AZ Alkmaar striker Jozy Altidore is confident that his team will be able to cope with Anzhi`s Samuel Eto`o in their Europa League playoff first leg Thursday.
Altidore said he was looking forward to playing the big-spending Russian side, adding that he was confident team mates were able to contain Anzhi`s star striker Samuel Eto`o.
"Of course, they have Eto`o. But I have every confidence that Nick Viergever can put him off his stride. He is probably the best defender in the Eredivisie," Altidore said on the AZ website.
The match will be played in Moscow because Anzhi`s home region of Dagestan was declared unfit to host European matches by UEFA due to security concerns.
In the last round of the competition, Anzhi knocked out Dutch opposition in the shape of Vitesse Arnhem, winning 4-0 on aggregate.
Altidore, 22, has had a good start to the season, scoring four goals in the first two games of the Dutch season, and said he felt in good shape.
"I feel better than a year ago. Meanwhile, I have developed and I know what is expected of a striker in our system. But there are still many things I can improve," he said.
After spending three years with Villarreal, one of them in England on loan at Hull City, Altidore joined AZ in 2011 and has since scored 21 goals in 33 games. He also scored 13 goals in 49 appearances for the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi