Juan Mata demands awayday success at Norwich
Juan Mata believes Chelsea must quickly secure a first away win of the Premier League season if they are to kick-start their title challenge.
A trip to Carrow Road to face Norwich City on Sunday presents Jose Mourinho`s side with the latest opportunity to claim three points on the road.
And Mata -? back in the side after falling out of favour -? is confident the Stamford Bridge club will face Chris Hughton`s side in buoyant mood after drawing a line under an alarming early season dip.
Successive defeats to Bayern Munich in the European Super Cup, Everton in the Premier League and Basel in the Champions League came as a shock to Mourinho`s squad.
But after getting their league form back on track with a victory over Fulham and hard-fought draw at Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea delivered an impressive display at Steaua Bucharest to ignite their European campaign.
"I think we`re in a good moment after the last three games," said Matta.
"We won two of them and drew against Tottenham after playing really well in the second half, so now we have to keep going and build on that before the international break.
?We need our first away league win as soon as possible. If we want to fight for the title you need to win your home games but also pick points up away as well.
"Obviously when you play away it`s difficult, especially against teams like Norwich who are very good at home, but we`re good enough to do it.?
Mourinho`s decision to drop Mata raised eyebrows but the Spain playmaker?s response has been to force a u-turn and also earned a recall into his national squad.
"I`m happy with how I played in the last three games and I`m happy with how the team played," said Mata.
"I`m really pleased to be back in the Spain squad and, obviously with the national team, my target is to play in the World Cup."
Samuel Eto`o will lead the Chelsea attack at Norwich in place of Fernando Torres who is suspended after being sent off last week and Mourinho acknowledges a victory immediately ahead of the international break will hand his side a timely lift.
"We have a lot to improve and work to do. We will have ups and downs, that`s normal with this profile of squad. I`m ready for that," said Mourinho.
"But after defeats we won against Fulham and had a fantastic second half at Spurs. We solved the situation under pressure in Romania. If we do our job then have 15 days to reflect and prepare for the future."
Norwich claimed only their second league win of the season last time out when they collected all three points at Stoke City.
The visit of Chelsea presents a daunting challenge but City`s record at Carrow Road last season, when they beat Manchester United and Arsenal, will give Hughton`s side hope.
"We will be underdogs and most people would expect them to win," said Hughton.
"But you have to use that and at Carrow Road we have put in good performances against the big teams. We have to draw on those experiences."
Sebastien Bassong is Norwich`s only injury doubt after Nathan Redmond and Javier Garrido proved their fitness this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla