Julio Cesar eyes perfect finish
Randburg: Having lifted the
Champions League, the Serie A title and the Italian Cup with
Inter Milan, Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar now wants the World
Cup and the crowning respect of his peers.
The 30-year-old was only a back-up at the 2006 World Cup
but has become Brazil coach Dunga`s first choice as the South
Americans bid for a sixth title in South Africa, having
started off with a narrow 2-1 success over North Korea.
While he would have preferred to start with a clean
sheet, at least Julio Cesar is having a better time of it than
some of his rivals for the title of world`s best goalkeeper.
Gianluigi Buffon suffered a herniated disc in holders
Italy`s first game against Paraguay and looks set to miss the
rest of the event.
Chelsea`s Petr Cech would be a top contender for the best
keeper in the world but the Chelsea shot-stopper failed to get
through the qualifiers with the Czech Republic.
Then there`s Spain`s skipper Iker Casillas, who Julio
Cesar himself places in the `big four`.
But Casillas is coming to terms with the Spaniards` shock
early loss to Switzerland and a poor season with Real Madrid.
Julio Cesar conceded a relatively miserly 34 goals as
Inter marched to the Italian title though his season was
briefly marred by a car accident.
He swiftly found his top form once again with a fine
showing to help Inter knock Chelsea out of the Champions
On Sunday, he will come up once again against one of his
opponents that night - Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba.
Although Cesar says he doesn`t covet individual prizes,
he is amongst those stars bidding to be voted world player of
the year, just as Soviet goalkeeping legend Lev Yashin was in
"It would be great to be nominated for the Ballon d`Or or
the FIFA award," he said.
But his target is glory with Brazil.
"I want to win the World Cup. I asked Lucio and Gilberto
Silva (who were on the victorious 2002 squad) if the trophy
weighs a lot and Lucio told me he couldn`t carry it for five
minutes it was so heavy.
"I told him if we win it I want to carry it for an hour
and a half."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray