Juninho joins New York Red Bulls
Rio de Janeiro: Former Vasco da Gama and Brazil midfielder Juninho Pernambucano has joined MLS side New York Red Bulls for the 2013 season.
After signing a one year contract, Juninho reiterated his desire to end his career in Rio with Vasco, probably in 2014, reports Xinhua.
Red Bulls sporting director Andy Roxburgh did not hide his delight at the club`s latest acquisition.
"Juninho is a world class player whom I and our global director Gerard Houllier have known and admired for many years. As well as being a dead-ball specialist, Juninho is a fantastic professional both on and off the field," he said.
Juninho previously crossed paths with Houllier at French club Lyons where the Brazilian playmaker spent seven years of his distinguished career. Whilst in France, the 38-year-old won seven successive league titles and garnered a reputation as the best free-kick taker on the planet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional