Juninho leads Vasco to 3-1 win over Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Juninho scored one goal and set up another as Vasco da Gama defeated nine-man Fluminense 3-1 in the Campeonato Brasileiro.
Playing in his first match since rejoining the club from New York Red Bulls earlier this month, the 38-year-old opened the scoring at the Maracana stadium Sunday with a low shot after Pedro Ken`s precise pass.
Fluminense were reduced to 10 men just five minutes later when Brazil striker Fred was shown a straight red card for elbowing Jomar.
Juninho then set up Andre to make it 2-0 before Carlinhos reduced the deficit by heading in a Rafael Sobis cross.
But Fluminense`s hopes of a revival were all but dashed when Digao was dismissed for his second yellow card after a foul on Andre.
Ecuadorian striker Carlos Tenorio put the result beyond doubt seven minutes from time by nodding in Fillipe Soutto`s pass.
The result lifts Vasco to 17th in the standings while Fluminense have dropped to 10th.
In other matches Sunday, Vitoria drew 0-0 with Bahia, Internacional beat Flamengo 1-0, Atletico Paranaense drew 1-1 with Corinthians, Santos drew 2-2 with Coritiba while Goias overcame Portuguesa 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players