Juninho returns to Vasco
Rio de Janeiro: Former Lyon and Brazil international midfielder Juninho Pernambucano has agreed to rejoin Vasco da Gama until the end of the season.
Speculation has surrounded the future of the 38-year-old since his shock departure from New York Red Bulls earlier this month, reports Xinhua.
"My intention was to stop playing when I rescinded my contract in the United States. When (president) Roberto Dinamite called me asking that I came back, I decided to collaborate, at least until the end of the season," Juninho said on Friday.
Juninho, who played in each of Lyon`s seven consecutive Ligue 1 titles from 2002 to 2008, quit New York after just six months at the Major League Soccer (MLS) club, citing differences with Coach Mike Petke. The free-kick specialist has said a key factor in his decision to leave Vasco in 2012 December was the Rio de Janeiro club`s failure to pay wages on time.
It is understood Juninho has agreed to play for nothing under the condition he receives monthly instalments of $230,000, owed in unpaid wages from his previous contract with the Rio club.
Vasco have already registered the veteran with Brazil`s Football Confederation (CBF) and hope he is available for the club`s July 21 clash against Fluminense at the iconic Maracana Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?