Juninho returns to Vasco
Rio de Janeiro: Former Lyon and Brazil international midfielder Juninho Pernambucano has agreed to rejoin Vasco da Gama until the end of the season.
Speculation has surrounded the future of the 38-year-old since his shock departure from New York Red Bulls earlier this month, reports Xinhua.
"My intention was to stop playing when I rescinded my contract in the United States. When (president) Roberto Dinamite called me asking that I came back, I decided to collaborate, at least until the end of the season," Juninho said on Friday.
Juninho, who played in each of Lyon`s seven consecutive Ligue 1 titles from 2002 to 2008, quit New York after just six months at the Major League Soccer (MLS) club, citing differences with Coach Mike Petke. The free-kick specialist has said a key factor in his decision to leave Vasco in 2012 December was the Rio de Janeiro club`s failure to pay wages on time.
It is understood Juninho has agreed to play for nothing under the condition he receives monthly instalments of $230,000, owed in unpaid wages from his previous contract with the Rio club.
Vasco have already registered the veteran with Brazil`s Football Confederation (CBF) and hope he is available for the club`s July 21 clash against Fluminense at the iconic Maracana Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley