Juninho to play on at Vasco da Gama
Rio de Janeiro: Former Lyon and Brazil international midfielder Juninho has signed a five-month contract extension with Vasco da Gama.
Juninho, 39 this month, had been expected to retire following a hamstring injury that prematurely ended his 2013 season, reports Xinhua.
But Vasco`s football director Rodrigo Caetano said the veteran had recovered impressively.
"The results of the (medical) exams couldn`t be better," Caetano said Thursday.
"Everybody knows of Juninho`s professionalism and he is recovering very well."
Juninho has so far only committed to playing the Rio de Janeiro state championship but could still join the club`s league campaign starting in June.
"The contract expires May 30 and then we will sit down and talk again," Caetano said.
Vasco will play their first match of 2014 against Boavista Jan 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui