Juninho to play on at Vasco da Gama
Rio de Janeiro: Former Lyon and Brazil international midfielder Juninho has signed a five-month contract extension with Vasco da Gama.
Juninho, 39 this month, had been expected to retire following a hamstring injury that prematurely ended his 2013 season, reports Xinhua.
But Vasco`s football director Rodrigo Caetano said the veteran had recovered impressively.
"The results of the (medical) exams couldn`t be better," Caetano said Thursday.
"Everybody knows of Juninho`s professionalism and he is recovering very well."
Juninho has so far only committed to playing the Rio de Janeiro state championship but could still join the club`s league campaign starting in June.
"The contract expires May 30 and then we will sit down and talk again," Caetano said.
Vasco will play their first match of 2014 against Boavista Jan 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt