Juve`s Chiellini out of Bayern clash, Buffon doubtful
Turin: Juventus centre back Giorgio Chiellini will miss Tuesday`s crunch Champions League match against Bayern Munich and goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is doubtful, the Serie A club said on Monday.
Chiellini, who will be replaced by Nicola Legrottaglie alongside Fabio Cannavaro, will be out for around 20 days after suffering a calf injury in Saturday`s 2-1 win over Inter Milan.
Juve also said in a statement that Buffon was a doubt after further damaging knee cartilage, a problem he was planning to have operated on after the Champions League group stage. Alex Manninger is poised to step in.
The Italians need a point in Turin to reach the last 16 while Bayern require a win to qualify in the final Group A game.
"It`s an authentic final," Juve coach Ciro Ferrara told a news conference.
"A draw is enough for us but a big team must never think like that and I want to play to win. I would like to see the same spirit but also attention, determination and will to attack that we had on Saturday (against Inter)."
Bayern coach Louis van Gaal will be without the injured Franck Ribery but Arjen Robben was fit to travel.
"The Juventus game is incredibly important," Van Gaal said. "It`s a final. But I think we`re in increasingly good shape."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan