Juve spurn chance to extend as misfiring Roma held
Milan: Verona forward Juan Gomez came off the bench to level late and secure a 2-2 draw at home to Juventus as the champions spurned the chance to extend their lead on misfiring Roma on Sunday.
Roma were away to Lazio in the city derby only four days after a 3-2 win over Napoli in the first leg of the Italian Cup semi-final.
But despite shading what was a rough and tumble encounter at the Olympic Stadium, Rudi Garcia`s men failed to grab the win that would have reduced their deficit on the Bianconeri to seven points with a game in hand.
Draws for both title challengers mean Juventus retained their nine-point lead over the Giallorossi, with Napoli, who outclassed AC Milan on Saturday, are now only four points off second place in third.
With Napoli virtually out of the title equation, it remains a two-horse race for this season`s scudetto and Garcia, whose side have yet to play a postponed match against Parma, appeared defiant.
"We have to look on the bright side because we haven`t lost any points to Juventus," the Frenchman told Sky Sport Italia.
"Their draw adds even more value to our 3-1 win (away to Verona two weeks ago). But we have to remain humble. We have yet to play Parma and that`s a game we still have to win."
Juventus looked to be on their way to a comfortable win in the north east after a Carlos Tevez double inside 21 minutes.
However Luca Toni reduced arrears just after the restart and Juan Gomez headed past Gianluigi Buffon in the fourth minute of injury time as Juve`s defence lost focus at a late free kick.
Juve coach Antonio Conte told Sky: "These kinds of games last 95 minutes, and we should never lose our concentration, especially in dead ball situations.
"There were other lapses of concentration in the second half and hopefully this will serve us well. We have to be conscious of the fast this title is not won yet."
Tevez tapped home after just four minutes when he reacted quickly the rebound after `keeper Rafael had pushed out Kwadwo Asamoah`s weighted cross.
The Argentinian struck his second to give the Old Lady a 2-0 lead before the half hour, but if there was just a hint of offside from his first goal -- Fernando Llorente appearing out of position -- there was even more suspicion on his second.
Tevez began his run on to Paul Pogba`s through ball on the left of the area just a little too quickly and swept the ball past Rafael on 21 minutes.
Verona`s woes deepened just after the half hour when their claims for a penalty were waved off despite the ball clearly coming off the arms of defender Martin Caceres following a corner.
The hosts earned some rough justice when striker Toni headed home seven minutes after the restart to reduce arrears.
Ironically, Toni and several other Verona players appeared to have breached Juve`s defence as Romulo whipped in a free kick that Toni headed past Buffon at the keeper`s near post.
Former Southampton striker Pablo Dani Osvaldo made his Juve debut when he replaced Llorente on 65 minutes and missed scoring by inches when he swiped Andrea Pirlo`s through ball past Rafael and off the post.
Buffon then produced a fine one-handed save to keep out Toni`s left-footed strike and Verona had another penalty claim denied after the ball came off the arm of Stephan Lichsteiner as the Swiss marked Toni at Buffon`s near post.
Juve continued to threaten, however, and Arturo Vidal tested Rafael with a strike which the keeper did well to push over.
But the visitors were stunned at the death.
The hosts won a free kick to the right of Juve`s area, it was quickly taken and Romulo whipped in a cross which Gomez headed past Buffon after slipping between Angelo Ogbonna and Pogba.
"It`s an unbelievable feeling... and feels really special taking a point from such an epic side," said Gomez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday