Juventus and PSG behind Barcelona in Europe: Ancelotti
London: The former AC Milan boss feels the Catalan giants are the benchmark to aim for, while is also resigned to missing out on reported targets Daniele De Rossi and Wesley Sneijder.
Carlo Ancelotti believes Paris Saint-Germain can regard themselves as being one of the top clubs in Europe now along with Juventus, but thinks that Barcelona are still superior to everyone else.
The 53-year-old has steered Les Parisiens to the top of the standings in France whilst also beyond the group stages of the Champions League this season.
And the Italian coach believes that along with the Serie A leaders, the Ligue 1 outfit are in the hunt for European silverware but must overcome an almost insurmountable challenge in the face of Barcelona.
“Italian football is still of the highest level,” the Italian told Corriere dello Sport. “Juventus, for example, are really strong.
“In Europe, Barcelona are the only unreachable team. But, behind them, there is a group of sides which include Juve and my PSG.”
Ancelotti has hinted about strengthening in the transfer window in January but has played down his side’s chances of signing Daniele De Rossi, believing that the Roma midfielder is currently content in Italy.
He added: “De Rossi won’t come to Paris.
“If I was to make a prediction then it would be that Daniele will stay in Rome for a long time because that is his home."
Ancelotti, who won two European Cups as a player and the same number as a coach with Milan, also quashed rumours of a move for Inter playmaker Wesley Sneijder, who is rumoured to be discontent with life at the Nerazzurri.
Ancelotti added: “Sneijder? When he’s fit he is a great player, but he won’t come here unless on holiday.”
PSG, who are top of Ligue 1 but level on points with Olympique Lyonnais and Marseille, have improved after a tough beginning to the winter, winning four consecutive league games without conceding, and Ancelotti has been delighted with the response shown by his players.
He said: "There was a period of difficulty and some inside the club were nervous, but now the situation has improved.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata