Juventus looking for Van Persie
London: The Italian Serie A champions Juventus, who won the football title after nine years, are looking to bolster their side with new signings this summer, the latest being Arsenal striker Robin van Persie.
The Dutch player, who moved to Arsenal in 2004 from Feyenoord, has scored 30 goals this season leading the list of English Premier League (EPL) goal scorers.
With their 38-year-old forward Alessandro Del Piero, ready to leave the the Old Lady of Turin next month Persie`s signing would fill the void. Marco Borriello, who is on-loan, is also expected to return to Roma in July.
Arsenal`s 8th all-time top scorer with 132 goals, Persie`s presence in the attacking line will reinforce the Turin club`s prospects next season when they will defend their title.
"Van Persie is a great player," the Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta was quoted saying by the British media. "He is a complete player and would be useful to any team. But he still has one year left on his contract with Arsenal. We will try to put the icing on the cake this summer but the important thing is that the mix is good."
Juventus who were on a roll this season are looking for more players to rejuvenate their side for next season. The players who are under the eye of Juventus are the likes of Liverpool`s Luis Suárez as well as the Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain.
"Van Persie, Suárez or Higuain? They are three important players," Marotta said. "In fantasy football we could have the three of them playing in the same line-up but in reality, it is different.
"If one of them arrives here it is not because he will be the less talented as other things have to be taken into account, such as the financial aspect. Moreover, if (Real Madrid coach) Jose Mourinho does not want to sell Higuain it will be impossible for us to get him and we also have to take that into consideration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert