Juventus secure 1-0 win over Maccabi Haifa
Tel Aviv: Juventus claimed a 1-0 win over Maccabi Haifa in their Champions League Group A match on Tuesday to stay on course for a spot in the knockout phase.
Mauro Camoranesi scored what proved to be the winner in first-half stoppage time when his shot deflected off Haifa defender Dekel Keinan to beat goalkeeper Nir Davidovich.
Second-placed Juventus have eight points behind Girondins Bordeaux, who have qualified on 10 points after their 2-0 win at Bayern Munich. The German side are third on four points.
"I am pleased that we won, the players played thoughtfully and responsibly, it wasn`t only a case of them using their feet," Juve coach Ciro Ferrara said through a translator.
"Our disappointment at drawing at home to Bordeaux has passed. We now look forward with the hope that we can qualify for the knockout phase," he added.
Juve drew their first group game 1-1 with Bordeaux, who reached the knockout round with a 2-0 win at Bayern Munich. Juve visit the French champions in their next match on Nov. 25.
Haifa, making only their second appearance in the group stage following their debut in 2002-03, have lost all four matches and have yet to score in the current campaign.
Haifa tried to push forward in the first half in front of a National Stadium packed with almost 40,000 fans but never threatened Gianluigi Buffon in the Juve goal as their strikers again failed to find the finishing touch.
The scoreline was a repeat of the victory enjoyed by the Italians in Turin two weeks ago.
Haifa coach Elisha Levy said his team`s first-half performance was their weakest in the competition so far.
"Naturally, we`re very disappointed. Clearly, in the first half we didn`t play as well as in our other games. Juve pegged us back and did not allow us to do the things we wanted to do. It was much better in the second half for us," Levy added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31