Juventus were close to signing Neymar for €35m, claims agent
Spain: The Brazil international recently completed his move to Barcelona, but he could very well have ended up in Serie A if things had gone differently in 2011.
Fifa agent Franco Zavaglia has claimed that Juventus were on the verge of signing Neymar from Santos for a transfer fee of €35 million only two years ago.
The Turin giants had given Zavaglia a mandate to negotiate a deal for the Brazil international and he quickly reached an agreement with the Sao Paulo side.
However, the move eventually fell through due to Santos` Copa Libertadores success.
"I went to Turin to take on the job and discuss a strategy and then left for Sao Paulo with a mandate to sign Neymar. Brazilian football was starting to get richer, but Santos needed the money, so they were ready to cash in on Neymar," Zavaglia told Tuttosport.
"We reached an agreement over a transfer fee of €35m. A big number, but that was the player`s value at the time.
"Santos`s vice-president was clear that the agreement wouldn`t stand if they made it to the next round of the Copa Libertadores, though. Unfortunately, Santos progressed and even went on to win the trophy for the first time in 48 years.
"That gave Santos the financial resources to hold on to Neymar and have him sign a new and improved contract."
The 21-year-old stayed put at Santos for two more seasons before eventually leaving the club for Barcelona this summer in a deal worth €57m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video