Juventus win third straight Serie A title as Roma falter at Catania
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
Rome: Juventus secured their third back-to-back Italian league title as their nearest rivals, Roma suffered a shock defeat at relegation fighting Catania.
Rudi Garcia`s side needed a win to keep their slim hopes alive, but after the debacle at Catania, they now trail Old Lady by eight points with only two games left in the season. Roma fell 2-0 behind through captain Mariano Izco`s double inside the first 35 minutes.
Skipper Francesco Totti did reduced the deficit before the half-time, but Gonzalo Bergessio and Pablo Barrientos scored in 55th and 79th minutes respectively to help the home side register one of their most famous victories in recent times.
In a record breaking season, Roma (85) already set a new club record of points in a single season while Juventus (93) are on course to reach the 100-point mark with three matches remaining, a record no team has ever achieved in Italy’s top flight competition.
Assured of their third successive title, Antonio Conte and his wards will celebrate their Scudetto success with a title-winning party when they host mid-table Atalanta on Monday.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you