Kaka back to his best in Milan draw
Milan: Brazilian Kaka looked a player reborn while producing a superb display in AC Milan`s 1-1 Champions League draw with Barcelona on Tuesday.
Kaka, back at the Serie A club after a mediocre spell at Real Madrid, set up Robinho`s ninth-minute goal with a delicate pass with the outside of his foot and was a constant thorn in Barcelona`s side.
Lionel Messi equalised in the 23rd minute to leave the Catalans on top of Group H with seven points from three games, two ahead of Milan and four in front of Celtic who beat bottom club Ajax Amsterdam 2-1.
It was a particularly impressive performance by Kaka given that he was nowhere near fully fit during a start to the season dogged by injury and then had to play on the left wing, most of the time part of his new team`s rigid defensive system.
"Having played plenty of times against Barcelona I knew the importance of the flanks. Tactically it needed to be a match of sacrifices," the 31-year-old told reporters.
"I still need to find my best form. The manager knows where I want to play but every now and again you need to make these sacrifices."
Kaka had not started a game for Milan since making a lacklustre debut in a 2-2 draw with Torino in Serie A last month and limping off with a thigh injury.
He also looked a shadow of the player he once was when he made a 20-minute cameo appearance in a drab 1-0 win over Sampdoria at the weekend.
Milan fans, however, have been unstinting in their support for a player who refused his wages while out injured.
"All this affection from the fans is an extra motivation for me," said Kaka. "Every time you play at the San Siro is special."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing