Keisuke Honda to join AC Milan, report says
Tokyo: Japanese international Keisuke Honda has signed a formal deal to join AC Milan when his contract with Russian champions CSKA Moscow expires on December 31, a report said Thursday.
Documents related to his free transfer to the European giants have been submitted to Italian football authorities, the Sports Nippon daily said.
AC Milan vice-president and chief executive Adriano Galliani recently told associates that the Serie A club had "formally contracted with Honda and had already submitted documents," the Japanese daily said, quoting well-informed sources.
When CSKA Moscow issue a transfer certificate for Honda, he will automatically be registered as an AC Milan player, the sources told Sports Nippon.
AC Milan failed to sign the 27-year-old attacker -- who helped Japan reach the last-16 at the 2010 World Cup -- during the summer transfer window. The Russian side had reportedly demanded a five-million-euro (USD 6.7 million) transfer fee.
After nearly four years with the reigning Russian champions, Honda has been eyeing Europe`s top clubs as he looks ahead to next year`s World Cup in Brazil. He has in the past been linked with several English Premier League clubs.
After the summer deal broke down, Honda told media he had a "number of options" when his time in Moscow ends.
It was reported last week that Tottenham were set to sign Honda in January.
Juventus, Monaco and Liverpool are among other clubs that reportedly showed interest in acquiring Honda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown