Kerala to host Federation Cup football in January
Kochi: Kerala will host the Federation Cup football from Jan 14-26 next year.
Kochi has been identified as the main venue for the tournament, where the semifinals and final would be held, KFA President, K M I Mather, told reporters here.
While Manjeri stadium at Mallapuram is the second venue, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode are also being considered, he said.
Being the host state, All India Football Federation has approved KFA`s request to include teams for the Federation Cup from Kerala. Since Eagles FC fulfilled the club licensee criteria, it has been selected to participate.
Kerala Government, GCDA and Kochi Corporation have offered full support for the tournament, he said.
"The announcement of India hosting the U-17 FIFA World Cup 2017, and Kochi being a prospective venue has brought a major boost for football in Kerala," Mather said.
"We have already submitted a request to the state government for upgradation of infrastructure and facilities for this."
KFA is also planning to develop a FIFA Academy under the Win India Project initiated by FIFA and have forwarded a request to the state government for allotment of land for it.
There are also plans to launch inter-school league for under-13 boys, keeping in view the coming U-17 World Cup and also hope to reach across the state to tap talented players who can be trained to represent the U-17 team, from India.
Other prospective venues for 2017 World Cup in India are Delhi, Goa, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, Pune and Guwahati, Anil Kumar, KFA General Secretary, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened