Kidnapped soccer star Obodo released in Nigeria
Abuja: Kidnapped Nigeria-born international soccer star Christian Obodo was released Sunday evening, according to a top-level security source.
Obodo was kidnapped in Delta state on Saturday. The source, however, could not disclose whether or not a ransom was paid before the Nigeria-born midfielder was freed by his captors, Xinhua reported.
"I can confirm to you that the football star has reunited with his family a few hours ago," the source said.
Abductors had initially demanded a ransom of 150, 000 euro (USD 188,000) , according to a family source.
Obodo who was in Nigeria to visit his family was driving alone in an area called Effurun in Delta state Saturday morning when some unidentified gunmen abducted him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16