Kirchhoff joins Schalke until 2015
Berlin: German football club Bayern Munich`s stand-by defender Jan Kirchhoff has joined league rivals Schalke on loan until June 2015.
Schalke had to do it without five starters owing to their injury crisis. The "Royal Blues" Friday decided to sign Jan Kirchhoff, who joined Bayern Munich in the summer, reports a leading news agency.
The defender has had no place in Pep Guardiola`s plans, as the former Barca coach has relied on Dante, Jerome Boateng and Daniel van Buyten.
"We are very pleased that this loan deal was possible since I am convinced that Jan can help us. He can play as a central defender as well as a defensive midfielder. Jan is good in the air and is known for his passing and tackling abilities," Schalke manager Horst Heldt said.
Kirchhoff has played 11 official matches for the Bavarians. Previous to his spell in Bayern he played five years for Mainz, making 58 appearances.
"Jan will get some match practice, which was not possible in Munich. We wish him all the best and hope that he will develop further so that he can return to Bayern in 2015," Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police