Knowing Messi, I doubt he waited to abuse anyone, says Gaspart
Barcelona: Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart has leapt to the defence of Lionel Messi after accusations aimed at the Argentine from Real Madrid`s Jose Maria Callejon.
The Madrid winger accused Messi of waiting for over an hour after Wednesday`s Copa del Rey clash just to insult los Blancos assistant coach Aitor Karanka and defender Alvaro Arbeloa.
However, Gaspart doubts Callejon`s story, saying it is not line with Messi`s character and behaviour.
"Knowing Messi, who is polite and behaves appropriately on and off the pitch, I very much doubt that he would want to have waited just so he could insult someone," Gaspart said.
"We just have to concentrate on ourselves and prepare for the next game. Others will say whatever they want.
"In theory, an away draw is always good and more so if the rival is Madrid. However, in the return leg we still have to win no matter what."
Gaspart also praised Carles Puyol`s reaction to team-mate Gerard Pique`s attempt to halt the game after a lighter was thrown on to the pitch from the home crowd.
"The attitude of Puyol to get rid of the lighter was the right thing to do," he continued.
"There is already enough tension in this country and now football is no longer any different."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- WATCH: Virat Kohli floors Pakistan cricket fans with touching message for Aleem Dar's son
- Ashutosh Gowariker, Kay Kay Menon launch Raj Supe's new book
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016