Koevermans to make presentation to AIFF on June 14
New Delhi: Former Dutch international Wim Koevermans will make a presentation to the All India Football Federation during its executive committee meeting on June 14 following which he is set to be appointed as the national coach.
"His appointment as coach is more or less certain but, as per the constitution of AIFF, it will have to be ratified by the executive committee. And then the federation will make the official announcement," an AIFF official said.
Koevermans is set to take over for a two-year term, which will end a more than a year`s search for a full-fledged occupant for the top job.
The 51-year-old Koevermans, a former Dutch central defender, was part of the squad that won the 1988 European Championship.
Following All India Football Federation`s sacking of Englishman Bob Houghton early last year, Armando Colaco and Savio Medeira -- whose contract expired on May 31 -- were given short stints, but they failed to yield much success.
Another Dutchman Rob Baan, who was appointed Technical Director in October last year, was given the responsibility to search for the chief coach and he has handpicked compatriot Koevermans for the job.
It has been learnt that Koevermans has agreed to the terms and conditions after a meeting with Baan and general secretary Kushal Das.
As far as the proposed match between Manchester United and Juventus in Kolkata is concerned, the AIFF clarified that there are specific guidelines and regulations for conducting international matches in India between countries as well as foreign clubs.
According to these regulations such matches can be held in India only after the specific approval of AIFF has been obtained.
Further, these matches must be conducted and organised under the aegis of AIFF and the respective Member Associations, the federation said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Shooter Heena Sidhu misses out on final berth
- Bangladesh bowling coach: BCB may have expressed interest looking at my credentials, says Venkatesh Prasad
- Congress vs Amitabh Bachchan: Abhishek Bachchan supports father, says Big B not hosting any political event
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- It's raining sponsors at Cricket Association of Bengal