Koke can be Spain`s playmaker for next decade, Xavi says
Madrid: Spain and Barcelona playmaker Xavi has singled out Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke as his successor as the man at the heart of the world and European champions` possession-based playing style.
Xavi, 34, is winding down his fabulously successful career for club and country and the 22-year-old Koke has emerged as one of the best of a rich crop of Spanish creative midfielders alongside the likes of Bayern Munich`s Thiago Alcantara and Isco of Real Madrid.
Regarded as one of the finest players ever in his position controlling play in the middle, Xavi is likely to announce his international retirement after the World Cup finals in Brazil and believes Koke has what it takes to fill his shoes.
"Koke is an extraordinary footballer," Xavi said in an interview published on Atletico`s website (www.clubatleticodemadrid.com) on Sunday ahead of Tuesday`s Champions League quarter-final, first leg between the La Liga rivals.
"He has everything: talent, physical ability, he is a footballer of the present and the future," Xavi added.
"He has been marked out as the conductor of Spain`s orchestra for the next 10 years.
"I have a special affection for him because we play in the same position and I think he is an extraordinary player."
Both Xavi and Koke are likely to feature in Vicente del Bosque`s 23-man World Cup squad and Spain play their opening Group B match against Netherlands in Salvador on June 13, a repeat of the 2010 final which Spain won 1-0.
They play Chile in Rio De Janeiro on June 18 and Australia in Curitiba five days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal