Kokorin joins injury list for Russia-Portugal clash
Moscow: Russia manager Fabio Capello’s injury problems for next week’s FIFA World Cup qualifying trip to Portugal deepened with the news that striker Alexander Kokorin will miss the game with a long-running Achilles tendon injury.
That leaves Zenit St. Petersburg’s Alexander Kerzhakov as the only fit striker from Capello’s original 23-man squad after Artem Dzyuba was forced out with a muscle spasm.
The Russian FA announced the 22-year-old Kokorin’s withdrawal in a website statement after training Friday, adding that he would also skip next month’s European Under-21 Championships.
Capello will wait until after Saturday’s Russian Cup final between CSKA Moscow and Anzhi Makhachkala before calling up another player in Kokorin’s stead. Dzyuba was replaced by Anzhi youngster Fyodor Smolov Tuesday.
When fit, Dynamo Moscow’s Kokorin has played in every game under Capello. He has 13 caps and scored his only international goal against Israel in September.
Russia can cement their position at the top of World Cup qualifying Group F with a win in Lisbon June 7 while Portugal can take first place with three points. Capello’s men have two games in hand.
Russia beat Portugal 1-0 in Moscow in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door