LA Galaxy beat Juventus 3-1
Florida: The LA Galaxy stunned Juventus on Saturday night, taking a 3-1 win over the Italian giants in the International Champions Cup.
The Galaxy took a deserved lead with less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half when Omar Gonzalez delicately chipped Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon but the visitors from Turin equalised soon through Alessandro Matri.
As the local fans at Dodger Stadium got more excited after halftime, the hosts hit the front again thanks to a goal from captain Landon Donovan and although the Galaxy rode their luck, they held on for a famous win with Robbie Keane adding a late third goal.
After some early nerves on Saturday, the Galaxy got on top with Donovan and Robbie Rogers producing a flurry of goal-scoring chances for LA.
Donovan was tripped from behind inside the D at the top of the penalty area, while Rogers played a one-two with his captain before stabbing his shot wide.
The winners of the past two MLS Cups continued to pour forward with Donovan forcing a top save out of Buffon in the 10th minute, while on the quarter-hour mark, Rogers got free on the left-hand side of the box but his shot was deflected away for a corner.
Galaxy hit the front in the 36th minute when Rogers linked with Juninho before the latter fired a pass through Juventus` defence to the galloping defender Gonzalez, who lifted the ball over the onrushing Buffon.
LA were flying but Juventus stunned the home side three minutes later when Matri, who had missed two chances in the opening five minutes, slammed home the loose ball from close range after Galaxy goalkeeper Brian Rowe had saved Fabio Quagliarella`s effort.
The score at 1-1 until the break and seven minutes after half-time the home fans were screaming for a penalty after Rogers was bundled over in the box but the referee ignored the pleas.
The Galaxy forgot that disappointment on the hour mark when Marcelo Savas knocked the ball away from Arturo Vidal in Juventus` defensive half, allowing Keane to take possession and the Irish forward set up Donovan for a simple tap-in.
While Juventus should have had a penalty with 14 minutes remaining for Savas` clear trip on Sebastian Giovinco, Galaxy completed a well-earned victory in the 89th minute when Keane pounced on Andrea Pirlo`s short back-pass and flicked the ball with the outside of his right boot past Buffon and into the bottom corner of the net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi