LA Galaxy thrash Philippine Azkal 6-1
Manila: The Los Angeles Galaxy football club defeated the Philippine Azkals 6-1 Saturday night in front of a packed crowd in Metro Manila here.
The Azkals put up a commendable defence against the Galaxy during the first 20 minutes of the game.
But international football star David Beckham blasted a halfcourt shot barely 15 minutes into the match to test Azkals goalkeeper Edward Sacapano. Five minutes later, Beckham opened the scoring with a sweet lob from outside the box that hit the back of the net.
The shot was followed up by another Galaxy strike, Mike Magee, hiking Los Angeles` lead to 2-0.
However, the Azkals had several scoring opportunities, with captain Chieffy Caligdong had a near-goal but his attempt in the 29th minute sailed over the top bar.
In the second half, Robbie Keane surprised the Azkals with the Galaxy`s third goal by striking in the 46th minute.
Greg Berhalter and Adam Cristman capped Los Angeles` domination with two more goals in the last 10 minutes.
Philippine boxing icon Manny Pacquiao watched the match. In a television interview after the game, Beckham said he wanted to play again when he saw Manny Pacquiao arrive in the stadium because he was a huge fan of the Filipino great.
The exhibition game is part of the Galaxy`s Asia-Pacific Tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cheat days? John Abraham’s words will give you serious fitness goals – Read more
- Govt lists GST Bill for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha's agenda for next week
- Kasol - Rejuvenate yourself with serenity, peace in the nature's lap
- Gurgaon waterlogging: This is how Twitterati reacted after traffic choked Gurugram
- Bridge collapses in Nepal due to flooding – watch dramatic video