LA`s Donovan named MLS player of the year
Los Angeles: United States and LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan has been named Most Valuable Player in Major League Soccer, the league said.
Donovan received the most votes in polling of players, general managers, coaches and the media. FC Dallas forward Jeff Cunningham and New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph were the two other finalists for the award.
The Galaxy captain has led his team to the MLS Cup final, where they will face Real Salt Lake on Sunday, scoring 15 goals in 28 regular season and playoff games.
"As an athlete to be honoured individually is great," Donovan told reporters after training in Los Angeles on Thursday.
"What is special about this is that its not just fans or media voting it is also your peers - and when your peers name you the best player, I think that`s special," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical