Lajong, Bagan set to open their I-league campaign
Shillong: Lajong FC and Mohun Bagan boys are set to open their I-League campaign when they lock horns on October 6.
After a frustrating campaign at the Federation Cup last month, both teams are looking forward to open their accounts on a positive note.
Shillong`s Lajong, placed in the 10th position in the last seasons table, are eyeing to finish at the first half of the table this year even as Bagan are a force to reckon with on the field considering they ended in the fourth position during the last season.
Given the favourable climatic condition and the state-of-the-art football turf at the J N Stadium at the state capital, both teams are eyeing to exploit their opponents weaknesses after a not-so-successful outing in countrys second most important football trophy, the Federation Cup.
The green and maroon brigade, under Santosh Kashyap, as coach are looking forward to a promising start as most of the players have more or less recovered from their injuries.
Kashyap said their foreign recruits, Tolgay and Odafa, are coping well and he hopes to make a winning start at the I-League.
Lajong on the other hand had recently signed Japan-born North Korean defender Minchol Son, to boost their defence which has been considered a major setback to the team in the last I-League season.
The clubs new head coach, Desmond Bulpin, has also injected a rare energy into the boys and this was evident as they outwitted the Australian A Club Wellington Phoenix in the final of the triangular NE series held earlier this year.
Bulpin is likely to put his team into an attack mode right from the word go with a 3-4-3 formation that would feature seven players in attacking front and seven boys at the back when their team came under attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town