Lambert looking for positive Aston Villa response
London: With his struggling side coming off the back of 8-0 and 4-0 losses, to Chelsea and Tottenham respectively, the Scot is hoping for a strong performance against Wigan.
Paul Lambert has urged Aston Villa to bounce back against Wigan on Saturday after seeing his side concede 12 goals in their last two matches.
Chelsea ran out 8-0 victors over Villa last weekend - their biggest-ever Premier League defeat – before a Gareth Bale hat-trick helped Tottenham to a 4-0 win at Villa Park on Boxing Day.
Villa now welcome fellow relegation-strugglers Wigan – a team they are unbeaten against in over three years – and Lambert is after a strong response from his players.
"I think I have always said that even when you win you let it go as quick as you can. You have to get it out of your system - the two defeats - as best we can," Lambert told reporters.
"If someone had said you`d take three points from Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham I think everyone would bite your hand off.
"But because you`ve been smacked twice everyone thinks `oh, here we go` but I can`t let two games distract from what we are trying to build here."
Lambert added: "You have to respond. There`s no point in going out there and feeling sorry for yourself given the amount of people who come and watch us.
"We have to try to rectify it and that`s what we`ll do. We are hurt like anyone else but you try not to beat yourself up about it."
Villa have nine first-team players currently out injured, including captain Ron Vlaar, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Darren Bent.
As such, Lambert has put trust in a number of the club’s youth products, but the manager does not believe inexperience is to blame for Villa’s recent struggles.
"As I`ve said before, over the last few years this club has had loads of experienced players and the situation has not really changed," he continued.
"Experienced players won`t always take you where you want to go. I know that from my own experience, I`ve got a belief in the way we are doing it in the long-term this club will be great.
"There`s no point me saying we`re down there because of inexperience. This club was battling against relegation last season."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?