Lampard becomes Chelsea`s joint highest goalscorer
London: Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has scored his 202nd and 203rd goals for the Blues against Aston Villa, breaking Bobby Tambling`s record as the club`s highest goalscorer.
The 34-year-old held off the attentions of Nathan Baker and Ashley Westwood to equalise against the relegation-threatened side an pull level with the 43-year-old record, before completing the comeback with a neat finish from Eden Hazard`s cutback as the game entered stoppage time.
The 61st-minute goal was Lampard`s 10th in the Premier League this season, and his 17th in all competitions, as he marked reaching double figures in the league for the 10th successive season.
Tambling, now 71 years old, was presented to the Stamford Bridge crowd at Chelsea`s home game against Swansea on April 28, which saw Lampard score his 201st goal from the penalty spot.
The wheelchair-bound former striker notched the total in 370 games over a 12-year stay at Chelsea, while Lampard breaks the record on his 606th apearance for the club.
Lampard has been afforded a reduced role in first-team squad this term under interim manager Rafael Benitez, making just 20 starts, but his double against Villa all but confirms Chelsea`s place in the Champions League next term due to their superior goal difference over fifth-placed Tottenham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh