Lampard proud to become England`s highest-scoring midfielder
London: Frank Lampard became his country`s highest-scoring midfielder of all-time as England demolished European minnows San Marino 8-0 in Friday`s World Cup qualifier.
The Chelsea star, who captained the England side at the Stadio Olimpico di Seravalle, scored his 28th international goal and in the process surpassed the previous record of 27 goals for a midfielder held by David Platt, now the Manchester City first-team coach.
England head to group leaders Montenegro on Tuesday where manager Roy Hodgson is expected to recall captain Steven Gerrard to the starting line-up, thus throwing Lampard`s starting position into doubt.
"It feels very good to be England`s highest midfield goalscorer. I`m very proud of that achievement. All my career, I`ve looked to score goals. It was great to be up there with the likes of the Bryan Robsons and the David Platts," Lampard said.
"Now I am above them and it was also an honour as always to wear the armband for your country. Stevie will be back on Tuesday so he will take it, but I am really pleased with how I played.
"We said if we approached it in the right way, then we would have no problems and that is what happened."
Tuesday`s opponents Montenegro beat Moldova 1-0 in the other game in England`s group to stay two points clear of Hodgson`s men.
"Everyone who played did themselves a favour. Everyone turned up but Montenegro is a different game so we might approach it in a slightly different way," added Lampard.
"It was a great confidence boost for us to score so many goals. Whoever is asked, will be ready on Tuesday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city