Lampard reaches 150 Premier League goals in Chelsea draw
London: Clint Dempsey scored his 22nd goal of the season for Fulham to clinch a 1-1 draw against Chelsea on Monday and prevent their west London rivals from climbing into the Champions League places.
The United Sates attacking midfielder headed the equalizer in the 82nd minute from Damien Duff`s corner, with Chelsea defender Gary Cahill`s back helping the ball into the net.
"When you`ve got Clint in the team you know you`ve got a chance," Fulham captain Danny Murphy said.
Sixteen of Dempsey`s goals have come in the Premier League, having also scored a double on Saturday against Bolton.
"He is always dangerous in the box if you get the delivery," Fulham manager Martin Jol said.
Chelsea had been on course for a third successive league win after Frank Lampard scored from the penalty spot on the stroke of halftime for his 150th league goal.
But the draw means the Blues not only missed out on fourth place, but allowed Newcastle to move above them into fifth after having beaten Bolton earlier Monday. Tottenham remain fourth on goal difference despite losing to Norwich.
In a test of their endurance entering the home straight, Chelsea started a run of six games in 18 days on Saturday by beating Wigan.
Chelsea meet Tottenham in the FA Cup semifinals on Sunday, then take on Barcelona in the Champions League semifinals.
Winning the European Cup for the first time could be Chelsea`s only way into the competition next season, with the team having been out of the top four in the league for two months.
The match between Aston Villa and Stoke City also ended in a 1-1 draw. Andreas Weimann scored for the hosts in the 32nd minute before Stoke`s Robert Huth got the equaliser in the 71st minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway