Lampard says Villas-Boas ignored present over future
London: Veteran Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has praised former manager Andre Villas-Boas’ intelligence, but believes in pursuit of laying the foundation for a good future at the club, he completely lost sight of the present.
The evident rift involving Lampard and Villas-Boas seemed to have exemplified the trouble times, the Portuguese faced at Stamford Bridge.
“The boss was an intelligent fella and very across everything. In his short time at Chelsea, he attempted to do everything right. He was there from seven in the morning until seven at night and maybe through the night,” a daily quoted Lampard, as saying.
“He was looking to the future and his plan was long-term. But somewhere in the middle of that, the present didn`t go so well — and that`s where the problems came. It became the thing that Chelsea needed a revolution and to move out the older players. To be fair to AVB, that was part of the remit and I get that we need to move on and change,” he said.
“But you can`t lose sight of the present, as a team like Chelsea, with the quality we have, can`t be fifth in the league. We should be pushing higher and there`s a lot of strength in our squad which you can hold up against any in the Premier League,” he added.
Lampard said players should be in the team on merit based, and if players like Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs could still stay at the top of their game at their age, even he can be.
“You can`t force change. It has to be a more careful process. If young players are coming through, who deserve to be in the team, I have no problem with that and would stand aside. But they have to earn their place and show they deserve to be in,” Lampard said.
“I know I can`t play every game. But I look at Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs and see no reason why I can`t play on as long as them,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination