Lampard warns Tottenham
Chelsea: The Chelsea midfielder believes Spurs can mount a challenge for top spot after their summer spending spree, but is unsure how the inexperience squad will handle the higher stakes.
Frank Lampard believes Tottenham are capable of mounting a title challenge, but only if they can cope with the high-stakes pressure.
Chelsea were held by their London rivals on Saturday, with Gylfi Sigurdsson`s opener being cancelled out by John Terry before Fernando Torres` sending off stunted the visitors` charge for all three points.
And Lampard, who has won the Premier League three times, believes Spurs` transfer spree can ignite a chase for England`s top prize - a situation he can relate to after 12 years at big-spending Chelsea.
"They’re a very good team," Lampard told reporters. "They are going to be looking at winning the league.
"That’s what you have to do when you spend that money. We’ve lived for the last eight years with that pressure, year in year out, and that’s what Tottenham have to deal with if they want to win the league.
"You have to get a level of consistency and it’s not easy. It`s a difficult league."
Tottenham currently sit third in the Premier League standings, level on points with second-placed Liverpool after six matches - two points better off than Chelsea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’