Lanka need a draw to advance to semifinals
Panaji: Sri Lanka are looking to seal their berth in the semi-finals when they play their last group `A` league match of the Lusofonia Games football competition against Sao Tome tomorrow at Tilak Stadium in Vasco.
With two teams qualifying from each group for the semi-finals, Sri Lanka, who beat Macau yesterday, now need a draw against Sao Tome to qualify for the semis.
The Lankans gave good account of themselves against Macau, especially in the first half to score the only goal through Bamanne Rathnake in the 40th minute.
The Sri Lankans could have won by a bigger margin had it not been for striker Hondamunge de Silva missing a couple of close chances. He was either slow to react or late in connecting Mohamad Hakeem`s crosses from the right who gave good account of himself.
Sri Lankan coach Lolonnage Perera was happy the way his team played against Macau.
The win has raised the confidence of the team and the players are looking forward to beat Sao Tome tomorrow.
"All we need is to be more sharp when chances come our way," Perera said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef