Last-gasp goal keeps Lyon’s title hopes alive
Paris: A goal in the third minute of injury time from Clement Grenier gave Lyon a 2-1 win at champions Montpellier on Friday to keep their slim French title hopes alive.
The win moved Lyon into second place on 59 points, one ahead of Marseille, who have a game in hand, but eight behind leaders Paris Saint-Germain.
Grenier`s potentialy decisive strike came after a corner from Yoann Gourcuff was only half-cleared by an Abdelhamid El-Kaoutari header.
The ball fell for Grenier whose half-volley from the edge of the penalty area found the net off the crossbar.
"A draw may have been a fairer result, but we have been in the opposite position since the start of the season," said Lyon coach Remi Garde.
"We haven`t won matches that we should have won.
"This win doesn`t guarantee us anything, but it has helped us to gain an edge on our pursuers."
Lisandro Lopez had put Lyon ahead in the 26th minute after being set-up by Gourcuff and Grenier.
But Moroccan international Younes Belhanda levelled five minutes before the interval with a fine individual goal.
Despite the three points, Lyon can be replaced in second place on Saturday when Marseille host relegation-threatened Brest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you